Monday, September 1, 2008

Pomp and Circumstances

And now it is September 1st and not even my dear sainted mummy is checking this blog for new posts anymore...

But I beg you to believe me when I say that the posts that I have Failed to post since March have been great works of art. The epics of wit and pathos that I have drafted in my mind while driving to and fro between work and school and externship and practice clients would have brought tears of joy and sorrow to the eyes of those with even the hardest of hearts. It's just that I have been a wee bit too swamped to um... actually write them down.

If you've been in contact with me since this last semester began you will probably already be aware of all the papers and tests and externships-Oh my!-that I have been complaining of most heartily for the last several months. About the middle of May I made a list of just the Big deadlines between then and August 2nd. It had 18 things on it! I immediately began to hyperventilate and only began to breath again when they handed me my diploma last Sunday.

Oh yes, I have Gradumatated!!! And although they did fail at graduation to blow trumpets when they called my name, or shower me with accolades, or fall at my feet lauding my surpassing brilliance and general studential excellence the likes of which they have never before seen and can not hope to see again... they did give me a diploma and a transcript with all "P's" (for Pass) on it... Sigh. I think my classmates who whipped off answers to homework assignments 15 minutes before class might have had the right idea after all!

Still, despite a general lack of recognition of my brilliance :) , graduation was a wonderful, bittersweet celebration of the last year and the closing of that chapter of our class's life. There was a lot of heartfelt sobbing involved... My class was very close and it was sad for us to leave as we had been through so much together (births and deaths and Anatomy exams!) and school was a life changing experience for all of us. I learned an enormous amount both about massage but also about myself.

Now (after a couple of tearful days recovering emotionally from being ripped untimely from the womb... so to speak) I am working diligently on the next steps to launching my career. I have a new business e-mail address and have ordered temporary business cards for marketing purposes. I'm mulling over questions about websites and financial software. I have sent off my application for the national certification examination and once I pass that I will be able to apply for state licensure. Once licensed I can actually begin to work professionally (i.e. take money!). Maybe as soon as November!

I promise, Promise to keep you posted this time. Really.

3 comments:

Kaethe said...

Well, I didn't keep checking because I've subscribed.

Let me offer you public congratulations on the occasion of your graduation, and also heaps of accolades for your almost Dickensian turn of phrase in posting.

Brava! And glad to have you back.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Lee! Maybe your saintly mother wasn't looking for updates but, I, your (not so) saintly friend was!!

P.S. When are you coming back? How convenient it would be to have a masseuse sit right behind me!!

Kellie P. said...

Hi Lee,
I've got a list of blogs that I check in on from time to time. I just knew you'd be back eventually. CONGRATULATIONS on your graduation. LOTS of stuff happening here. I'll send the update to your e-mail.